sendmail message splitting defeats bandwidth savings?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Mon Nov 3 16:04:07 GMT 2003

Agreed, but there is a huge difference between splitting only those messages
that need special handling (my suggested approach) and splitting ALL
messages (the current approach).  In fact the difference for a site handling
a significant amount of email is likely to be *many* orders of magnitude.

> > 3. MailScanner scans and re-queues all of the (now many) messages.
> > 4. Sendmail delivers the messages, one copy per recipient,
> resulting in the
> > original message being sent MANY TIMES over the wire to the next MX.
>
> Even if MS will do this trick i think mailvolume increase is
> the only way
> to accomplish this approach.

Yes, but again, the question is *how much* it ought to increase.  The
current approach has the potential to increase it drastically, with most of
the increase being completely unrelated to productive mail filtering.

Here's a more detailed example.  Suppose I want to whitelist mail to
bob at foo.com but not to tom at foo.com or harry at foo.com.  A single message comes
in bound for all of them: