{Scanned} Re: MailScanner memory spikes

David Shaw maillist at COMPUTER-MEDIC.US
Sat Nov 1 13:51:09 GMT 2003

FYI I have been having the same problems here. After about 10 to 13 hours I
get a dead box. The memory is maxed out. I did the upgrades and still it's
the same. I have 1Gb of RAM but that does help. I have also stop the mail
(blocked
port 25) and that didn't help. Something just runs the memory out. So I know
Redhat 9 doesn't play nice. Does anyone know if debian works with
MailScanner?

Thanks, David

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Kevin Spicer
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 3:14 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: {Scanned} Re: MailScanner memory spikes

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 22:33, Edward L. Hannaford wrote:

>The server is currently functional with only 1 child, however the
>memory/CPU spike is still present; it just doesn't disable the server
>anymore.  Any ideas what might cause this?

At a guess, frantic swapping.  Whats eating the memory?  What are the
CPU states when the load is high (mostly system or mostly user).  Is the
CPU maxed out or is the load caused by waiting on I/O?  Are you running
the MailScanner work directory in tmpfs?  If so does taking it out of
tmpfs solve the problem (maybe you are getting hit by a flood of huge
emails using all your available memory?)  What about the number of
messages recieved during that time (Look at the mail relayed graph) is
the size of the mail in proportion to its volume at that time (or is
there a marked disproportionate spike in the Mbytes of Mail transferred
graph)?  Any cron jobs that happen at those times?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.

dangerous content by Guardian Towing, and is
believed to be clean.
Guardian Towing thanks Computer Medic for their support.
www.Computer-Medic.us (909) 704-9628