SV: Pop3 Proxy

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Fri May 23 00:17:19 IST 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:40:47PM -0500, Gary Morgan wrote:
> Yes, we do run client based AV however I don't trust anybody to keep up
> to date on their virus definitions.  I would just like to be able to
> manage it from a server standpoint, instead of managing so many clients.

Where I work, the signature files are pushed out to all desktops
daily, even if there has been no change, just to make sure that the
desktop machines are current, and new ones are pushed out as soon as
they're made available by Symantec. That, MailScanner, and not running
M$ MUA or mailserver code (Lotus Notes instead) seem to have been a
pretty decent combination for keeping viri off the desktops.

Automating the signature-file push is a *good* *thing*.

We do have people bringing infected diskettes and CDs in from time to
time, but even those get caught at the desktop.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin since 1964