Performance suggestions?

Joel Colvin joelc at CTCHOUSTON.COM
Wed May 21 19:34:45 IST 2003

I used to do multiple mqueue directories before I used MailScanner so I may
try that on one box again.

If I have plenty of CPU left, do you folks think I'll make faster headway
with more than the default 5 children?

I think my first test will be more MailScanner kids on one box and I let you
know if the results are clear.  That will be an easier test than
reconfiguring for multiple mqueue.in. (I'll try that one after hours.)

-----Original Message-----
Of Kevin Spicer
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 12:33 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Performance suggestions?

> Multiple mqueue.in directories (I don't know how you configure
Sendmail to
>deliver to multiple queue directories, but surely one of the
sendmailers out
>there can help)...

I dug this out...
http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/mqueue.html

its for 8.10 but I think still valid in 8.12.  A couple of gotcha's

Don't take the advice on that page about making some queue directories
symlinks to other partitions - MS won't like that and it will actually
increase the work your machine has to do, because of needing to copy the
data into the outgoing queue.Don't forget to make them subdirectories of
mqueue.in not mqueue!  I'm not sure whether MS makes use of the xf
files, if not maybe worth taking the advice about symlinking that to
tmpfs.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000