Multiple copies of incoming messages sent to users (was) Postfix problem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 21 12:03:40 IST 2003

At 22:46 20/05/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks for your reply Julian,
>
>Actually, it's not just one particular message that's being sent to each
>user.  Any message that a user receives at any particular time will be
>sent more than once.  I'm not sure of the exact number of times a user has
>received a copy of the same message but I know it happens at least 5
>times.  The users don't receive multiple copies all at once either.  I've
>noticed this behavior over a 24 - 48 hour period.
>
>Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what envelope addresses
>are.  Are those the "To" and "From" fields?

The "To" and "From" headers are just what someone chose to write into the
message. They are not used for mail delivery at all. The envelope addresses
are what actually count. Think of it as a real letter in an envelope. You
can put "To: Santa Claus" on the piece of paper inside the envelope if you
like. It's only the message the postman sees on the outside of the envelope
that affects its delivery. On most messages these addresses are the same,
but they don't have to be. The last action in mail delivery is for the
envelope to be opened and chucked in the bin, leaving you looking at the
letter.

Can you try the attached "Postfix.pm" to see if it helps please?