System load very high

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 20 21:09:31 IST 2003

At 21:00 20/05/2003, you wrote:
>Ok.  I finally got the load under control but I had to comment
>out the "Spam List" line, eliminating RBL checks and
>turn off SpamAssassin checking to do so.   I put rbl checks
>into the incoming sendmail to reduce spam somewhat.
>If I turn on either of these options the load starts to climb
>and time-out messages begin to appear in the log in just
>a few minutes and with only a few messages in mqueue.in.
>
>Does this give anyone any more ideas?

You might have slow DNS lookups. What hardware have you got and how many
messages per day are you trying to process? SpamAssassin is pretty CPU
intensive, but you can get large load values out of network waits too, the
load average is based on the number of jobs in the run-queue at any time,
but that doesn't mean they actively want CPU.

--
Julian Field