Mailscanner leaves two running processes when restarting

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 19 10:31:06 IST 2003

At 10:08 19/05/2003, you wrote:
>Hello Mailscanner gurus

I have just discovered from the bottom of your message that you are still
running 3.27. This is at least a year old now, and it's about time Debian
updated their distribution.

>I have used mailscanner (with exim) for some time and I have been very
>content about it doing a good job.
>
>Now I have just set it up on another site - and where it worked just
>flawlessly before, I now have troubles...
>
>Mailscanner starts and does it's job good. However it restarts every
>hour (curiously - it is configured to restart every 14400 seconds)
>  -
>and it does not kill the previous process:
>
>root at carlsberg:~# ps axu|grep mailscanner
>mail     11612  0.1  9.8 23272 12624 ?       S    09:00   0:06 [mailscanner]
>mail     13598  0.6 15.8 23212 20284 ?       S    10:00   0:04 [mailscanner]
>root     13952  0.0  0.4  1620  564 pts/2    S    10:12   0:00 grep
>mailscanner
>root at carlsberg:~#
>
>This results in the two running mailscanners trying to scan messages
>at the same time:

The output of the "ps" command changed completely with a recent glibc
upgrade. As a result, check_mailscanner (called by an hourly cron job)
totally fails, and attempts to start another MailScanner process. If you
want to see how to do it these days, take a look in any recent version of
MailScanner and transplant the guts of the current check_mailscanner into
your old version.

If Debian won't/can't keep their distribution even vaguely up to date,
there's not much I can do. Their current release is at least a year old,
and no longer works properly with the rest of their distribution. I always
believed they were fanatical about back-porting compatibility fixes so that
everything kept working, but clearly not in this case :-( If someone else
fancies taking over the Debian distribution, and can keep it up to date,
then I would welcome it.

>May 19 09:12:40 carlsberg mailscanner[11612]: Scanning 1 messages, 5280 bytes
>May 19 09:12:40 carlsberg mailscanner[11612]: Cannot parse
>/var/spool/mailscanner/incoming/19Hep2-00036o-00.header and
>/var/spool/exim_incoming/input/19Hep2-00036o-00-D, write-open
>/var/spool/mailscanner/incoming/19Hep2-00036o-00/msg-11612-3.txt: No such
>file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/MIME/Body.pm line 414, <_GEN_2> line 64.
>May 19 09:12:40 carlsberg mailscanner[9980]: Scanning 1 messages, 5280 bytes
>May 19 09:12:40 carlsberg mailscanner[11612]: Scanned 1 messages, 5280
>bytes in 0 seconds
>
>The message is delivered normally - but the sender (if local) is sent
>a virus message ("Your email was infected with virus: Could not parse
>message") as well as the administrator.

Do you still have a cron job in place that is trying to start version 3 at
the same time as version 4 is running? That's the most common cause of this
problem.

--
Julian Field