solaris init.d

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Wed May 14 15:04:15 IST 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Rob V wrote:

> Does anyone have a good sendmail+mailscanner init.d start/stop script for
> solaris?

Alas, it is somewhat less straightforward than that.  Solaris' own
sendmail "init.d" and its attendant "/etc/default/sendmail" change from
release to release (e.g. from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9).  So it is better to
edit what they give you on that machine, rather than import a complete,
but probably wrong and potentially harmful, script from a repository.

Now what MIGHT be worth exploring is whether the MailScanner distribution
could include a little Solaris script that would determine the Solaris
release and attempt to apply a relevant patch/diff to the "init.d" for
that particular release.

Naturally, a similar model might be applicable to the various releases of
other OSes.  This might well be a job for the new "autoconf"-based stuff
being planned for MailScanner.  (Yes, I'm aware that, in general, autoconf
should, in general, be programmed for features, not OSes, but this might
be a valid exception.)

(Note to Julian:  You may recall that I contributed some autoconf stuff to
MailScanner several months ago.  If you wish to explore the OS-dependent
patching of "init.d" scripts, and to do so in an autoconf-driven way, then
I'll be happy to exchange ideas with you.)