DNSBLs

Richard Alexander copper_shotgun at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 13 15:43:06 IST 2003

Since setting up MailScanner and SA on our new Red Hat 9 server, we have
noticed and increase in SPAM messages.  MailScanner is tagging the files
correctly, but I'm not sure that have the DNSBL setup correctly in
mailscanner.conf.  Before MS i had the following line setup in sendmail.mc
and it seemed to do a pretty good job of catching the obvious:

FEATURE(`dnsbl', `list.dsbl.org', `"Email blocked using ORDB.org - see
<http://ORDB.org/lookup/?host="$&{client_addr}">"')dnl

This is the current setup in MailScanner.conf:

 This is the list of spam blacklists (RBLs) which you are using.
# See the "Spam List Definitions" file for more information about what
# you can put here.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Spam List = DSBL ORDB-RBL Infinite-Monkeys # MAPS-RBL+ costs money
(except .ac.uk)

# This is the list of spam domain blacklists which you are using
# (such as the "rfc-ignorant" domains). See the "Spam List Definitions"
# file for more information about what you can put here.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
# Spam Domain List =

# If an individual "Spam List" or "Spam Domain List" check takes longer
# that this (in seconds), the check is abandoned and the timeout noted.
Spam List Timeout = 10