(O/T) human readability (was Re: Urgent: MailScanner apparently stopped processing...)

Chet martyn at CHETNET.CO.UK
Fri May 9 20:35:32 IST 2003

How do I get myself off this list?

Thanks
      www.chetnet.co.uk
Cable Modem FAQ and portal

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mariano Absatz" <mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:33 PM
Subject: (O/T) human readability (was Re: Urgent: MailScanner apparently
stopped processing...)

El 9 May 2003 a las 17:13, Julian Field escribió:

> At 08:01 09/05/2003, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 9 May 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> >  I checked and the message looks pretty mangled... but
> >then again I'm not sure how readable the files in that format are
supposed
> >to be.
>
> The Postfix format is not meant to be human-readable. I know what it's
> supposed to look like.
Arghhhh!
Postfix queue files are binary?
I might get flamed for this but, WHY???
How much bandwidth/diskspace/whatever do they save by not making it human
readable?
I might get flamed for this, but I think all protocols and file formats
should be human-readable (not counting cryptography) "just in case"... just
in case there is a bug, just in case the application broke, just in case you
don't _have_ the application, whatever...
Just my 2c.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby