Urgent: MailScanner apparently stopped processing...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 9 18:45:47 IST 2003

At 08:27 09/05/2003, you wrote:
>On Fri, 9 May 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> yesterday,

> postfix demon
> including the
> found
> mail did

> > >Yes, it was scanning after I restarted, however it was using max of both
> > >CPUs in my system. After letting it run that way for awhile, I used
> > >check_mailscanner to find it's PIDs, then I killed it and restarted and
> > >then the CPU use was more normaly.

> thinks
> > > >

> > >Yes, this is set on postfix

> and then

> answer it

> options you
> > > errors?
> > > >

> > >I get: bash: service: command not found
> >
> > In which case you are using "su" and not "su -". Always use "su -" as it
> > sets up the root environment properly. All sorts of strange things can
> > happen when you just use "su".
> >

>Ah, thanks for the tip - when I do su - I get: MailScanner: unrecognized
>service

After you installed the RPMs you should have got this sorted already.
However, doing
         chkconfig MailScanner add
will add it as a service, so you can then start and stop it. You will need
to set your MTA by editing /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner and by running
"redhat-switchmail-nox".

> > >This may be because when I first installed MailScanner, it would hang on
> > >startup - I had to boot in single user mode, & rename the MailScanner init
> > >script in init.d - additionally my incoming postfix was not starting
> > >automatically either, so I added the postfix.in startup command and
> > >check_mailscanner to rc.local. I think what was happening before that is
> > >that MailScanner was trying to start before both postfixes were starting.

> message xxxxxx

> corrupt. It
> the last

> /var/spool/postfix.in/deferred that
> > > >

> > >On the invalid messasge, is it save to remove it out of the deferred
> > >directory? If it is the only thing in it's folder, is it also safe to
> > >remove the folder?
> >
> > Remove the message, but don't remove the folder.
> >

>Ok, good.
>
> > >  I checked and the message looks pretty mangled... but
> > >then again I'm not sure how readable the files in that format are supposed
> > >to be.
> >
> > The Postfix format is not meant to be human-readable. I know what it's
> > supposed to look like.
> >
> > >Also, any ideas on why postfix.in is doing all it's timestamps in UTC
> > >while postfix & MailScanner are not?
> >
> > Are you starting one as being "properly" root, and starting the other after
> > just doing "su"?
> > That would probably cause it.
>
>No - the only difference is that postfix.in is started with:
>/usr/sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix.in start
>which is in rc.local
>
>Other than that, the two postfixes have nearly identical config files...

This will get done automatically once you have the "service" stuff above
sorted out.
--
Julian Field