spamassassin 2.53 & MailScanner

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri May 9 08:06:58 IST 2003

>By the way, when RBL's are used with either MailScanner or SpamAssassin
>(don't use them with both!) they also are used only for scoring.  They
>don't reject/block messages.  I believe using them with sendmail will
>actually reject the message but that isn't what happens when called
>from MailScanner/Spamassassin.

That wasn't quite my understanding... I'm pretty sure that...
RBLS with sendmail reject mail (as you said.)  On a busy server choosing
a good RBL to use with sendmail  can be very worthwhile since the mails
are blocked before being received in full, which saves cpu cycles and
bandwidth.
RBLs with SpamAssassin just contribute to the scores.  Incidentally, the
fact that some RBLs are better than others is reflected in the scores
that SA gives each of them - if worried about this causing false
positives then just tweak the scores a bit lower.
RBLs with MailScanner simply switch the SPAM flag on, match one RBL and
your mail is tagged as SPAM.  IMHO using RBLS directly within
MailScanner is only useful if you don't have SA installed.

I use razor2, DCC and pyzor, as well as RBLS within SA, The hardest part
of the install was setting up appropriate firewall rules to allow DCC
etc. out (and even that is trivial once you find out the port numbers).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.