SV: Do I need SpamAssassin?

Anders Andersson, IT andersan at LTKALMAR.SE
Wed May 7 23:11:09 IST 2003

Yes

> I would like to keep it simple so what do I need SA for? It's
> more "advanced" but what does it mean to me? Will I get a lot
> of spam without it? Is it worth the added complexity?

Use use it of the box, I do it and it works like a charm  =)

> Also, the mail system I want MS in uses Exchange on the
> inside and they have anti-virus scanners for that database
> and also on every desktop.

always add extra security on mail.... biggest reason is that for me is
that even if we are coverd on our exchange I dont want viruses even
to enter my exchange.

> Is there any point for me to scan mail for viruses at the MTA
> (Sendmail) level as well? Isn't the virus scan more resource
> demanding than the spam and attachment checks? I'm running
> Solaris and not all companies offer scanners for that
> platform. Any advice?

Not regarding solaris but an extra layer of security is never bad especially
if you like me got an exchange site and probably outlook as clients

> Sorry for all the newbie questions but I'm really interested
> in using this. I have a chance of replacing a commercial
> Windows-based system that costs $20.000 a year in licensing
> alone and I really want to show what open source can do but
> this is new to me so I need help. Thanks.
Go for it, I did it and not a single virus mail entered our system yet.