my mail server is drowning

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed May 7 16:03:38 IST 2003

Hi,
   My spam.whitelist.rules look like:

# This is where you can build a Spam WhiteList
# Addresses matching in here, with the value
# "yes" will never be marked as spam.
From:   137.146.        yes
FromTo: default         no
To:             spam@*  yes
To:             abuse at colby.edu yes
To:             postmaster at colby.edu    yes
To:             career-services yes
FromTo: owner-victoria at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU     yes
FromTo: dglusker at pivot.net      yes
FromTo: lists.worldbank.org     yes
FromTo: alum.colby.edu  yes

where the IP numbers for my domain are 137.146.x.x.  As I understand it,
this whitelists everything outbound from 137.146.x.x, but not inbound.
So spamassassin does its thing on everything inbound except the few
additions further down the list.  Right???

BTW, I turned off auto-whitelist (per Julian's suggestion) and things
are holding together a little better today.  MailScanner still has a
big memory footprint (36 M).  I reduced the number of children from 6
to 4, still a lot of memory page activity.

--- Jeff Earickson