when is Bayes scoring used?

David While David.While at UCE.AC.UK
Wed May 7 08:46:41 IST 2003

Yep - put them in spam.assassin.prefs.conf

also

if you have moved the bayes databases from their default locations by using
the settings in spam.assassin.prefs.conf then the sa-learn and
check_bayes_db commands will give the wrong output - they check the default
location of /root/.spamassassin (assuming MS etc is being run as root.).

I use sa-learn -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --rebuild to
check my database and it reports correctly.

David While
Technical Development Manager
Faculty of Computing, Information & English
University of Central England
Tel: 0121 331 6211

                      Gerry Doris
                      <gerry at DORFAM.CA>        To:       MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      MailScanner              Subject:  Re: when is Bayes scoring used?
                      mailing list
                      <MAILSCANNER at JISC
                      MAIL.AC.UK>

                      07/05/2003 02:01
                      Please respond to
                      MailScanner
                      mailing list

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Mark Nienberg wrote:

> If you are counting on SpamAssassin to "auto-learn", rather than manually
> feeding messages through it, then it only uses messages with very high or
> low scores.  The defaults are
>
> auto_learn_threshold_nonspam  -2.0
> auto_learn_threshold_spam  15.0
>
> I imagine that 200 spams with scores greater than 15 will accumulate
fairly
> quickly, but I don't see many messages with scores less than negative
> two, so how will it ever auto-learn any ham?  Even messages internal to
> my network score zero.  I'm thinking about changing the default to
positive
> one or thereabouts.
> --
> Mark W. Nienberg, SE
> Tipping Mar + associates
> 1906 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA  94704
> visit our website at http://www.tippingmar.com

Where are those threshold lines added if I want to change them so that
they take affect with MailScanner?  Do you put them into
spam.assassin.prefs.conf?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer