bayes ignore {spam} tag in subject line

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Tue May 6 20:53:03 IST 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:49:18PM -0400, Bingham, Ryan wrote:
> I apologize if this is a dumb question but I haven't been able to find
> the answer anywhere.  Is there a way to get Bayes to ignore the {spam}
> tag in the Subject line (without ignoring the entire Subject line)?
> Alternatively, is there an easy way to remove/replace a text string i.e.
> {spam} from all the messages in an mbox file?
>
> I'd like to have Bayes learn messages in my low scoring spam mailbox
> after I've cleaned out the false positives.

Well, certainly you can use an editor on the mailbox to do the vim[1]
equivalent of

        :1,999999 s/^Subject: {spam}/Subject: /

where the line numbers are  dependent on the size of the mailbox.
I think it would be safer to work on a _copy_ of the mailbox, rather
than on the original, unless it's not needed in a pristine state for
archival or other purposes.

[1]     emacs users will have their own incantation, and will wave a
        totally different object as they chant.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx