f-prot autoupdate

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 2 17:55:10 IST 2003

At 17:26 02/05/2003, you wrote:

>Ive noticed a problem with the f-prot autoupdate script.  For some reason
>this script often takes forever to download the updates.  I must have poor
>connectivity to the f-prot servers.  When the autoupdate script is fired
>off and waiting, and waiting, and waiting&MailScanner stops processing
>mail.  Mail just piles up in /var/spool/mqueue.in.  As soon as I kill the
>autoupdate script mail starts being processed again.

To start with, it contacts http://updates.f-prot.com.
If that fails or times out, it drops back to trying ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/.

Try contacting them by hand and see what happens.

You can always scatter "print" statements throughout the important bits of
the script to see exactly where it gets stuck.
--
Julian Field