Ruleset problem/question

Soeren Gerlach so-mlist-alias at all-about-shift.com
Sun Mar 30 16:08:32 IST 2003

Wrong address...

> >There, some rules are defined for several domains:
> >
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >To: *@all-about-shift.com
> >/opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/messages/deleted_bad_filename_message_report.
> >all-about-shift.com.txt To: *@all-about-shift.de
> >/opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/de/deleted.filename.message.txt
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >

> >The file for the first domain exists and is a customized version of the
> >general version used as default in MailScanner. But when starting
> >MailScanner, it reports the following error via Syslog:
> >
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >Syntax error in line 1 of ruleset file
> >/opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/deleted_bad_filename_message_report.rules for
> >keyword deletedfilenamemessage
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> >What am I missing? It looks quite perfect to me (at least....) ,-))
>
> My guess would be that your text editor split it over 2 lines. So it is
> complaining that there is no filename on the first line.

No, this is not the case. It is created via a script but I checked it too
after your answer with a very wide terminal ,-) Can it be that the filename
is too long or the overall line lenght is too long? I attached the file to
this mail so you can check.

> >Two questions regarding this problem: How does M. distinguish in the
> > config file between a rulefile and the final text file to use for this
> > (and other parameters) as both versions take a file in the config file
> > itself.
>
> Most other settings are easy to distinguish (rules files have to be files
> that exist). But in this case, they rely on the filename ending in
> ".rule" or ".rules".

Okay, quite easy then.

> >The second question accompanies the "M. in mem" thread which goes on for
> >some days: Will all the referenced text files be read upon start so they
> >are in mem while a M.process is running?
>
> No, they are read each time they are used.

So for performance reasons It would be another issue to put the referenced
files on a ramdisk. Although I think this will be a small improvement only
as this files are read only and not written to.

thanks & regards,
Soeren