How to open a spam trap?

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Fri Mar 28 19:37:25 GMT 2003

I wouldn't start adding all the servers from which mail originates to a
broken address to the spam lists. That one important customer who
mistakenly forgot a dot or something else in one of the e-mail addresses
within your organization might be 'not amused' to find his server added
to all blacklists :)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Bruce Thompson wrote:

> Hi,
>      I've been running MailScanner and SpamAssassin for about a month
> now and it's been a fantastic addition. There's still some spam
> slipping through, but the volume is way down.
>
>      Now it's time to start the attack back. Sort of. What I want to do
> is to create a spam trap address. This is a mail address that receives
> nothing legitimate. Any mail arriving at that address is guaranteed to
> be spam. I've hacked up a log scanner that looks for unknown addresses
> in my mail log with the intention of adding them as aliases for the
> spam trap.
>
>      For dealing with the spam, I'd like to automate things as much as
> possible. The first thought is to have a procmail script that
> automatically forwards incoming email to spamassassin's autolearn,
> forwards to razor, bayes, etc. etc. This script will be easier to write
> if I can turn off all MailScanner manipulations on incoming email on
> that account. This way I have the email in its pristine form to work
> with. The alternative is to have a script that processes the mail
> before handing it off to autolearn et al. On the one hand this would
> give me the chance to ignore email that is already correctly tagged,
> but it would also require me to strip off the MailScanner headers.
>
>      First off, what do folks recommend? Second, is there a way to tell
> MailScanner to simply pass through mail for a particular user?
>
>         Cheers,
>         Bruce.

believed to be clean.