email in exim incoming queue is not getting processed -- Please help

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 20:04:48 GMT 2003

At 19:11 27/03/2003, you wrote:
>Julian,
>
>Thanks for your interest in my problem.
>
>Below are the answers to your questions
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Scott
>
> > In your MailScanner.conf, what are the values of
> > MTA
> > Run As User
> > Run As Group
> > Incoming Queue Dir
> > Outgoing Queue Dir
> > Incoming Work Dir
> > Quarantine Dir
> > PID file
>
># As a rough guide, try 5 children per CPU.
>Max Children = 10
>
># User to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
>Run As User = mail
>
># Group to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
>Run As Group = mail
>
>Queue Scan Interval = 5
>
>Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input
>
># Set location of outgoing mail queue.
># This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim/input
>
># Set where to unpack incoming messages before scanning them
>Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
>
># Set where to store infected and message attachments (if they are kept)
># This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
>Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
>
># Set where to store the process id number so you can stop MailScanner
>PID file = /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid
>
># To avoid resource leaks, re-start periodically
>Restart Every = 14400
>
># Set whether to use sendmail or exim
>MTA = exim
>
>Sendmail = /usr/sbin/exim
>
>Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail -C /etc/exim/exim_send.conf

This should be "/usr/sbin/exim -C /etc/exim/exim_send.conf" ideally.

> > For the relevant "Run As User", please supply the line from the
> > /etc/passwd
> > file.
>
>mail:x:8:8:mail:/var/mail:/bin/sh
>

> > For the relevant "Run As User", please do "ls -ld" of the home
>directory.
> > For each of the "Dir" variables above, please do an "ls -ld" of each
>one.
> >

>output for var/mail
>
>lrwxrwsr-x      3 root   mail      4096 /var/mail/

Where does this link point to, and what is the "ls -ld" of the directory it
points to.

>output for /bin/sh
>
>lrwxrwxrwx      1  root    root         4 Feb 26 15:19 /bin/sh -> bash

I need the "ls -ld" for all the other directories I mentioned too.

--
Julian Field

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses