email in exim incoming queue is not getting processed -- Please help

Daniel Bird dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 27 18:41:35 GMT 2003

Hancock, Scott wrote:

>Here is some of my mail.log file.
>
>I did the restart at 8:23.  Looks like the queue went down yesterday at
>14:21
>
>Gaps below indicate places I snipped the log.
>

>Thanks
>
>Scott
>
>< snip>
>Mar 27 08:23:56 pebbles MailScanner[23069]: Using locktype = posix
>Mar 27 08:23:56 pebbles MailScanner[23069]: Creating hardcoded
>struct_flock subroutine for linux (Linux-type)
>Mar 27 08:23:56 pebbles MailScanner[23069]: New Batch: Found 2180
>messages waiting
>Mar 27 08:23:56 pebbles MailScanner[23069]: New Batch: Scanning 100
>messages, 4393367 bytes
>Mar 27 08:24:04 pebbles MailScanner[23097]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
>Scanner version 4.13-3 starting...

some thing to check out?....

>Mar 27 08:24:04 pebbles MailScanner[23097]: User's home directory /root
>is not writable

Also, from you log it looks as though MS is seeing all your messges, as
the numbers are changing. What's the load like on your system?

I don't know if it's significant but there is a huge jump in the number
of messages MS is seeing...

>Mar 27 12:34:04 pebbles MailScanner[775]: New Batch: Found 707 messages
>waiting
>Mar 27 12:34:04 pebbles MailScanner[775]: New Batch: Scanning 1
>messages, 4155 bytes
>Mar 27 12:34:06 pebbles MailScanner[775]: Virus and Content Scanning:
>Starting
>Mar 27 12:34:06 pebbles MailScanner[775]: Uninfected: Delivered 1
>messages
>Mar 27 12:35:38 pebbles MailScanner[737]: New Batch: Found 19065
>messages waiting

Are any of the remaining messages in your queue marked as frozen or
locked in your exim log?

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses