email in exim incoming queue is not getting processed -- Please help

Hancock, Scott HancockS at MORGANCO.COM
Thu Mar 27 19:11:53 GMT 2003

Julian,

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Below are the answers to your questions

Thanks again.

Scott

> In your MailScanner.conf, what are the values of
> MTA
> Run As User
> Run As Group
> Incoming Queue Dir
> Outgoing Queue Dir
> Incoming Work Dir
> Quarantine Dir
> PID file

# As a rough guide, try 5 children per CPU.
Max Children = 10

# User to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
Run As User = mail

# Group to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
Run As Group = mail

Queue Scan Interval = 5

Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input

# Set location of outgoing mail queue.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim/input

# Set where to unpack incoming messages before scanning them
Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming

# Set where to store infected and message attachments (if they are kept)
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine

# Set where to store the process id number so you can stop MailScanner
PID file = /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid

# To avoid resource leaks, re-start periodically
Restart Every = 14400

# Set whether to use sendmail or exim
MTA = exim

Sendmail = /usr/sbin/exim

Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail -C /etc/exim/exim_send.conf

> For the relevant "Run As User", please supply the line from the
> /etc/passwd
> file.

mail:x:8:8:mail:/var/mail:/bin/sh

> For the relevant "Run As User", please do "ls -ld" of the home
directory.
> For each of the "Dir" variables above, please do an "ls -ld" of each
one.

output for var/mail

lrwxrwsr-x      3 root   mail      4096 /var/mail/

output for /bin/sh

lrwxrwxrwx      1  root    root         4 Feb 26 15:19 /bin/sh -> bash

> Sounds like its a permissions problem.
>

> At 18:42 27/03/2003, you wrote:
> >Let's try an attachment so it's readable.
> >
> >Sorry for the double post.
> >
> >Scott

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses