MailScanner 4.12-2 / 4.13-3 incoming failed

Craig Pratt craig at STRONG-BOX.NET
Thu Mar 27 02:16:21 GMT 2003

OK, Julian. Using the word "impossible" is very thinly-guised bait, if
I ever saw it. ;^)

I don't have a test system that exhibits this problem. But I think I'm
getting an idea of what the process IDs enclosed in "[" and "]" refer
to. I believe these processes have an empty /proc/<pid>/cmdline file
and PS substitutes the "Name" field from /proc/<pid>/status (or maybe
/proc/<pid>/stat) for the command line - with the brackets around it.
Not sure where glibc fits into this picture, though.

Unfortunately, I think this means that the proc cmdline file won't help
- since I'm betting they're empty in this case.  But here are two other
options - at least for Linux. I don't know if you can wrangle any of
this out of ps to make it more platform-neutral.

1) The /proc/<id>/cwd file will point to different directories

   [craig at orange craig]$ ps -C sendmail
     PID TTY          TIME CMD
    3219 ?        00:00:00 sendmail
    3224 ?        00:00:00 sendmail

   [craig at orange craig]$ sudo ls -l /proc/3219/cwd /proc/3224/cwd
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Mar 26 18:12
/proc/3219/cwd -> /var/spool/mqueue.in
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Mar 26 18:12
/proc/3224/cwd -> /var/spool/mqueue

2) You could use the fact that the incoming sendmail has two sockets
open and the outgoing only has one - presuming that's a safe bet:

   [craig at orange craig]$ ps -ax | fgrep sendmail
    3219 ?        S      0:00 sendmail: accepting connections
    3224 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
    7843 pts/0    S      0:00 fgrep sendmail

   [craig at orange craig]$ sudo ls -l /proc/3219/fd /proc/3224/fd
   /proc/3219/fd:
   total 0
   lr-x------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 0 -> /dev/null
   l-wx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 1 -> /dev/null
   l-wx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 2 -> /dev/null
   lrwx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 3 ->
socket:[335288]
   lrwx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 4 ->
socket:[335293]

   /proc/3224/fd:
   total 0
   lr-x------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 0 -> /dev/null
   l-wx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 1 -> /dev/null
   l-wx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 2 -> /dev/null
   lrwx------    1 root     root           64 Mar 26 18:01 3 ->
socket:[335300]

Craig

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 02:36  PM, Julian Field wrote:
> Really helps when vendors/distributors do nice things like that :-(
> Attached are new versions of
>         /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner
>         /usr/sbin/check_mailscanner
>
> This now makes it impossible to make it work perfectly on all versions
> of
> RedHat Linux. It can now no longer tell the difference between the
> outgoing
> sendmail process in glibc 2.2 and the incoming sendmail process in
> glibc
> 2.3 as they both produce the same output. Also the incoming and
> outgoing
> sendmail processes in glibc 2.3 produce exactly the same ps output,
> making
> it impossible to differentiate between the 2.
>
> So it's about as good as I can get it, but it will tend to be a bit
> optimistic when doing a "status".
>
> At 22:11 26/03/2003, you wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have seen this problem with diffrent scripts and programs on my
>> system.
>> If you are all running redhat, the following has happend afaik.
>>
>> Redhat silently upgraded glibc from 2.2.X to 2.3.X while
>> incorporating the
>> latest sun rpc fix. (The reason for the upgrade iirc)
>>
>> Now some (if not most processes) show up as:
>> 773 ?        S      0:00 [sendmail]
>> 782 ?        S      0:00 [sendmail]
>> when doing a ps -ax or ps -eaf.
>>
>> I blame it on the glibc upgrade and had to modify a bunch of scripts.
>>
>> I don't know what the exact meaning is if a process is in between []
>> brackets. Couldn't find it that quick. I had to "repair" a lot of
>> monitoring and reporting tools and I don't have time to make ps do the
>> right thing again.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Stijn.
>>

>> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Bruce Rahn wrote:
>>
>> > Allow me to add a more detailed observation in addition to my first
>> posting
>> > of "seeing the same problem here".
>> >
>> > First off, this discrepancy started after the last kernel/glibc
>> updates.
>> > Everything was fine before that.  I too was bitten by the sendmail
>> 'auto
>> > start' issue when I upgraded, but that one was quick and easy to
>> track
>> down.
>> >
>> > Now two more tid-bits.  While it indicates failed, it indeed is
>> running
>> > after a MailScanner start up and stops after a MailScanner stop.  So
>> why the
>> > error that it failed?  It indeed works.
>> >
>> > Also, after the kernel/glibc update, the MailScanner-MRTG graph of
>> Copies Of
>> > Sendmail went from showing two down to showing zero.  If I were
>> smarter, I'm
>> > sure this is a clue.
>> >
>> > It's not a show stopper, just leaves one with a false impression
> [...]
---
Craig Pratt
Strongbox Network Services Inc.
mailto:craig at strong-box.net

--
This message checked for dangerous content by MailScanner on StrongBox.