MailScanner 4.12-2 / 4.13-3 incoming failed

Craig Pratt craig at STRONG-BOX.NET
Wed Mar 26 22:23:50 GMT 2003

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 02:11  PM, Stijn Jonker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have seen this problem with diffrent scripts and programs on my
> system.
> If you are all running redhat, the following has happend afaik.
>
> Redhat silently upgraded glibc from 2.2.X to 2.3.X while incorporating
> the
> latest sun rpc fix. (The reason for the upgrade iirc)
>
> Now some (if not most processes) show up as:
> 773 ?        S      0:00 [sendmail]
> 782 ?        S      0:00 [sendmail]
> when doing a ps -ax or ps -eaf.

Funny. I've put all the updates on my RH 7.2 system and don't see what
you're describing - at least for the sendmail process:

[craig at orange craig]$ rpm -q glibc sendmail samba kernel
glibc-2.2.4-32
sendmail-8.11.6-23.72
samba-2.2.7a-1
kernel-2.4.18-27.7.x
[craig at orange craig]$ ps -ax | fgrep sendmail
  3219 ?        S      0:00 sendmail: accepting connections
  3224 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
  6877 pts/0    S      0:00 fgrep sendmail

> I blame it on the glibc upgrade and had to modify a bunch of scripts.

Have you upgraded your kernel for the strace() problem? I'd be more
suspicious of a kernel upgrade causing this kind of thing.

Craig

> I don't know what the exact meaning is if a process is in between []
> brackets. Couldn't find it that quick. I had to "repair" a lot of
> monitoring and reporting tools and I don't have time to make ps do the
> right thing again.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Stijn.
>

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Bruce Rahn wrote:
>
>> Allow me to add a more detailed observation in addition to my first
>> posting
>> of "seeing the same problem here".
>>
>> First off, this discrepancy started after the last kernel/glibc
>> updates.
>> Everything was fine before that.  I too was bitten by the sendmail
>> 'auto
>> start' issue when I upgraded, but that one was quick and easy to
>> track down.
>>
>> Now two more tid-bits.  While it indicates failed, it indeed is
>> running
>> after a MailScanner start up and stops after a MailScanner stop.  So
>> why the
>> error that it failed?  It indeed works.
>>
>> Also, after the kernel/glibc update, the MailScanner-MRTG graph of
>> Copies Of
>> Sendmail went from showing two down to showing zero.  If I were
>> smarter, I'm
>> sure this is a clue.
>>
>> It's not a show stopper, just leaves one with a false impression that
>> things
>> are not working when indeed they are.
>>
>> Regards -- Bruce
>>
>> Bruce Rahn
>>
>> brahn at woh.rr.com
>>
>> Wisdom has two parts:
>> 1.  having a lot to say; and
>> 2.  not saying it!

---
Craig Pratt
Strongbox Network Services Inc.
mailto:craig at strong-box.net

--
This message checked for dangerous content by MailScanner on StrongBox.