Mailscanner in mem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 10:55:48 GMT 2003

At 09:26 24/03/2003, you wrote:
>Hallo all
>
>Can anyone remeber the subject for the thrad on running mailscanner in memory?
>
>I have a box with 3Gig ram here and I need the performance.

You can safely run with the MailScanner/incoming directory in RAM (just use
tmpfs) as long as you aren't using F-Prot (which for some reason doesn't
like tmpfs and won't recurse directories properly). Putting your mqueue.in
and mqueue in RAM is very dodgy unless your RAM is battery-backed and your
system is never rebooted with anything in its mail queues.

If you are running Linux, then add a "-" in front of the log filename in
syslog.conf. So instead of it logging to
         /var/log/maillog
make it
         -/var/log/maillog
That will stop syslogd from fsync-ing after every log entry, which can make
quite a difference to your disk traffic.

Running with MailScanner/incoming in tmpfs can add up to 30% to your max
throughput.
--
Julian Field