MS ruleset file sizes

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Mar 21 19:24:27 GMT 2003

At 19:13 21/03/2003, you wrote:
>Hi Julian!
>
> > What I would do in that case is use a database to store all the user
> > settings. Slurp the tables into hash arrays at startup time, then at
> > run-time just look up their settings in the fast hash arrays. You can do
> > all this with Custom Functions.
>
>What about making the rule sets in .db format. Just liek the sendmail
>files, saves a restart also when i only update the rulesets. Would that be
>possible? Faster for looking up also.

The ruleset testing involves iterating through all the rules until a match
is found. If they are .db format, then the order of the rules is lost,
which is very important. As for speed, the current lookups are done from
RAM, which is faster than any disk-based lookup such as .db files.
--
Julian Field