Perl Modules

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Mar 21 09:09:18 GMT 2003

>  Trying to install MailScanner, getting an error
>
>  'perl-MIME-tools >= 5.411 is needed by mailscanner-4.14-5'
>
> But..I have installed MIME-tools both via CPAN and then [in
> desperation] via manual install??
> but at the end of this process, got..

> RPM build errors:
>     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
>
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/IO
> -stringy/.packlist
>
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod

In both cases I think you are getting errors because you have been installing 'unpackaged' files i.e. not rpms.  CPAN is great but really shouldn't be used on rpm based systems for exactly this reason.  Although you may have manually installed packages this won't necessarily satisfy the dependencies in the rpms you try to install later as they won't be recorded in the rpm database.  If you are sure that you have installed the dependencies you could install using --nodeps.  I think theres an option to the MailScanner install script to do this.  You don't say whether the second error caused the rebuild to fail - you might like to check if the packages were built (in a subdirectory off /usr/src/redhat/RPMS)  If so try installing them with --force .  Really though the best answer is to track down rpms for anything you may have installed manually or from Cpan and install the rpms (at least then you can keep them up-to-date easily).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.