CC question

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 19:54:55 GMT 2003

At 19:36 20/03/2003, you wrote:
>To any that may know
>
>Man, am I getting hit hard by someone with an email that includes CC
>(carbon copy). I'm not sure how they are doing this, but the original
>header usually has a blank from field, and is being sent to an expired
>address (no longer valid).
>
>I can block the primary non-CC mail recipient with MS and SA ( I think ),
>but what happens to the email going to the CC recipients? If I delete the
>email based on a blacklisted "To" non CC address, will this also kill the
>CC email also? The returned mail messages are around 500 a day and a
>bother to others, I'm sure!

MailScanner works solely on the message's real recipients (in the
envelope), regardless of what may happen to be in the headers. The headers
are not used to determine the delivery addresses, they are purely for user
consumption. The "To:" and "Cc:" headers are irrelevant to MailScanner, as
they are to the delivery process.

If you want to block them, you need to see the real recipient addresses in
your mail log.
--
Julian Field