Config File Idea

James A. Pattie james at PCXPERIENCE.COM
Mon Mar 17 19:51:40 GMT 2003

What if the MailScanner code remembered the date/time stamp of each
config file when it initially started and parsed them.  Then before
using the data structure for a given config file, it checks to see if
the file has changed and if it did, re-loads the config file.

Obviously, we would need some form of file locking, etc. to make sure
that you don't read a config file that is half way created and to make
this work, we would need a script that locked the file and then let you
run vi, etc. and then unlocked it when you were done.

The reason I bring this up is for the ideas of making a web
configuration interface that many users could be changing settings in a
database and then the config program re-generates the config files every
X minutes or as the user finishes their changes.  But we don't want to
constantly be restarting MailScanner or telling the user they are going
to have to wait X minutes before their changes are live if we do restart
MailScanner all the time, etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. welcome.

Anyone interested in working on a user configuration interface?

--
James A. Pattie
james at pcxperience.com

Linux  --  SysAdmin / Programmer