"Found invalid qf" message running amok

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Thu Mar 13 15:48:03 GMT 2003

Julian,

   Every once in a while our mail server gets malformed spam that
causes a blizzard of "Batch: Found invalid qf queue file" messages
in my syslog.  This message comes from line 329 of
lib/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm (version 4.13-3).  I can send you the
qf files if you want to look at them, but the messages are always
from well-known spam sites with uuencoded message bodies.  They have
IP numbers of 0.0.0.0 in the qf files, which probably triggers the
syslog message.  I have to yank the miscreants out of mqueue.in to
restore order.

Can't MailScanner just note the problem in syslog once, then either
nuke the qf/df files in mqueue.in,  or maybe move them to /tmp?

--- Jeff A. Earickson