Outlook and UUENCODED attachments

James A. Pattie james at PCXPERIENCE.COM
Wed Mar 12 21:36:16 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:
> At some point, yes please send me the messages. At the moment I
haven't got
> time to look at it. Are you using "Sign Clean Messages = yes"? If so, can
> you try setting it to "no" and see what happens.

Yes, but I had set up a rules file that was supposed to not sign any
messages they sent themselves.  Unfortunately, they have 2 different
domains that they are using and the sender had her email address in one
and was sending to the other domain.

Is there any way to do a rule that says don't sign when From = domainA
and To = domainY?

When I turned off signing clean messages alltogether, then the e-mail
went through ok to the other internal users.  This doesn't really
explain why I was able to get it no problem unless it is an issue with
Outlook97 being old or something.  :)

> At 20:01 12/03/2003, you wrote:
>
>> I'm not 100% sure that this is a MailScanner issue but this issue only
>> started being reported after installing MailScanner.
>>
>> I have a user that is sending file attachments (usually office
>> documents) from Outlook 97 and when they send these e-mails to other
>> internal users the other users get the e-mail but the attachment is
>> empty.  When they send the e-mail to me (external using Mozilla mail) I
>> get the e-mail fine.
>>
>> It appears that the originating mail client is encoding using UUENCODE
>> instead of MIME from the following headers:

>> MailScanner is generating the following body content:
>>
>> The following is a multipart MIME message which was extracted
>> from a uuencoded message.
>>
>> - ------------=_1047489992-23715-0
>>
>> The message then follows the boundary and goes on.
>>
>> The internal users, also using Outlook 97, are getting the message and
>> when they forward it to me the file attachment looks like this:
>>
>> - ------ =_NextPart_000_01C2E88B.02DAFF40
>>

>> - ------ =_NextPart_000_01C2E88B.02DAFF40--
>>
>> When the user sends me the same attachment, I get the following:
>>
>> - ------------=_1047489992-23715-0
>>
>> <File base64 encoded here>
>>
>> - ------------=_1047489992-23715-0--
>>

>> The originating site is using MailScanner 4.12-2 and I'm using
>> MailScanner 4.13-3.
>>

>> If needed I can send the sanitised e-mails for inspection.

- --
James A. Pattie
james at pcxperience.com

Linux  --  SysAdmin / Programmer