SA and Bayes

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Thu Mar 6 14:03:30 GMT 2003

What happens if you don't specify anything for bayes and go with the
defaults?  I think my setup is using bayes because the .spamassassin dir
under root has bayes files that are updating.  The only problem that
I've been seeing with bayes is that it's not very good at cleanup.  It
leaves lock files there but I've been noticing more sa temp files being
left behind in /tmp as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan-Peter Koopmann [mailto:Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 3:36 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: SA and Bayes

Hi,

somehow I get the impression that my SA/MS setup does not use bayes.
These are the relevant entries of my spam.assassin.prefs.conf file:

auto_whitelist_path        /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
auto_whitelist_file_mode   0666

bayes_path                 /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes
bayes_file_mode            0666

auto_learn 1

use_bayes 1

bayes_ignore_header X-MailScanner
bayes_ignore_header X-MailScanner-SpamCheck

This is what a check_bayes_db tells me:

0.000        0        0        0  non-token data: db format = on-the-fly
probs, expiry, scan-counting
0.000        0      209        0  non-token data: nspam
0.000        0     2320        0  non-token data: nham
0.000        0        0        0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000        0        0        0  non-token data: oldest age
0.000        0     4505        0  non-token data: current scan-count
0.000        0        0        0  non-token data: last expiry scan-count

--- snipp ---

If I interpret this correctly I have 209 spam and 2320 nonspam messages
learned successfully. And as far as I can see both sa-learn and
auto_learn seem to work. BUT: I never saw a single mail (spam and
nospam) with a BAYES_ tag in the SpamAssassin score.

Any ideas?

Regards,
   JP