Spamassassin 2.50 & MailScanner 4.13-3 Problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 16:27:57 GMT 2003

At 16:05 02/03/2003, you wrote:
>Spamassassin 2.50 & MailScanner 4.13-3 Problems...
>
>Well lets see to start with our server specs are...
>RH Linux 7.2
>Ensim Webppliance 3.16-1
>Sendmail
>MailScanner 4.13-3
>Spamassassin 2.50
>
>Running mailscanner with spamassassin on would put an extreme load on the
>server with the mailscanner processes using up 17-25% cpu. I also tried
>this with mailscanner 4.12-2 and had the same result. Apparently some
>where along the way there is either a major problem with spamassassin 2.50
>or mailscanner when using spamassassin.
>
>However the spamassassin patch on your site (http://mailscanner.info) did
>correct this problem (load dropped to nearly nothing) but I wonder while
>using that is that going to hinder spamassassin's fuctionality? Also is
>this going to be fixed in a future version?

The "chews up all your CPU time" problem was caused by a fault that was
making SpamAssassin lock solid. They weren't closing a database properly at
the end of processing a message. My patch just makes it close the database
properly.

The patch does not damage functionality of SpamAssassin or MailScanner in
any way.

It should be fixed by the SpamAssassin authors in 2.51, at which point my
patch won't be needed any more.
--
Julian Field