Sopos Upgrade Issues

Michael Janssen Janssen at RZ.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Sun Mar 2 00:35:39 GMT 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Mike Wallis wrote:

> I upgraded Sophos to v3.67 today, and am now getting errors when
> Mailscanner is trying to scan mail:
> Error initialising detection engine - missing part of virus data
> Error initialising detection engine - missing part of virus data
> etc, etc...

you will also get this error (nice topic for the faq - but I havn't got
the 3.67) when starting sophos directly (but use "sophoswrapper" provided
by MS-package: it will start Sophos with correct environment settings)

Until now the best advise was to reinstall Sophos completly (delete
directory and install). But did you then get the complete vdl-data? If
concerned, you might try to remove and relink the vdl-link (and to any
file working as a "part" of the virus data) and move the vdl-file away and
back and silly things like that ;-)

Sophos sweep can stumble about very sophisticated things in combination
with the links used to target the vdl data and Sophos need no appearant
reason for this behaviour (I have once strace'd the sweep process and it
claims files as missing which were readable by any other programm...). A
simple update might yield in an infunctional installation. Testing with
sophoswrapper is crucial.

Michael