Mailscanner and Exim with "split_spool_directory = true"

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Sat Mar 1 16:14:10 GMT 2003

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
>At 15:19 28/02/2003, you wrote:
>>Is it possible to use mailscanner with exim when split_spool_directory
>>is set to true.  I have not had any success with this option while using
>>mailscanner.
>
>No it isn't I'm afraid. Sorry about that.

I haven't got around to investigating this properly, but I have a couple
of thoughts on the matter. You ought to be able to have a split spool
directory on the smtp listener by using a configuration like
        Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim.in/input/*
but there isn't much point in this because the incoming spool dir
should always be small. split_spool is much more important for the
outgoing Exim because it's doing all the retries, and because of its
support for turning the option on and off with messages already in the
spool, it may be possible to make MailScanner just leave the messages
in /var/spool/exim/input and rely on Exim to move them into the correct
subdirectory.

BTW I'm using Exim with MailScanner with only one Exim configuration file
by using a trick, as follows. In the Exim configuration file put
        SPOOL = /var/spool/exim
        spool_directory = SPOOL
i.e. use a macro to define the spool directory. The you invoke the SMTP
listening exim with a command-line macro definition to override the one
in the configuration file, and -odq to turn off immediate delivery:
        exim -bd -odq -DSPOOL=/var/spool/exim.in
and the outgoing/queue-running exim with an extra option to make it
create a pid file which it won't do by default (because it has no -bd):
        exim -q15m -oP /var/spool/exim/exim-daemon.pid
The Sendmail and Sendmail2 options in MailScanner can then be the same
and without command line options.  Unlike the recommended configuration
this means that locally-generated email will bypass MailScanner, which
should be OK if you don't have users on the machine.

Tony.
THE WASH TO NORTH FORELAND: SOUTHWEST BACKING SOUTHEAST 3 OR 4 OCCASIONALLY 5,
BUT LATER VEERING SOUTH OR SOUTHWEST. RAIN FOR A TIME. MODERATE OR GOOD.
MAINLY SLIGHT, BUT LOCALLY MODERATE AT FIRST.