mailscanner timeout on virus updates...?

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Mon Jun 30 21:20:12 IST 2003

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

>It won't make it into the July release, but I could knock up a sample
>autoupdate script that wraps the update in a timeout. This is probably best
>placed in the global updater actually.

That worries me, since it may leave the virus scanner's database corrupted
if the update command times out partway through. When I rewrote the McAfee
one I got it to download the new data diles into a staging directory so
that it could work without interfering with MailScanner -- no problems
with timeouts.

Tony.
COLWYN BAY TO THE MULL OF GALLOWAY INCLUDING THE ISLE OF MAN: EAST 3 OR 4
BACKING NORTH, LATER INCREASING 4 LOCALLY 5. RAIN OR SHOWERS. MODERATE LOCALLY
POOR. SLIGHT INCREASING LOCALLY MODERATE.