SpamAssassin 2.55 problem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jun 29 15:50:29 IST 2003

At 15:45 29/06/2003, you wrote:
>I have tried various max children settings - from the default of 5 down
>to 1.  I still found MailScanner/SpamAssassin couldn't keep up.
>
>Currently I have 1 MailScanner process and a max of 15 messages per
>batch.

Changing the max batch size won't make much difference. Remember it is the
**maximum** size of a batch. If your mail comes in a trickle, the batches
will probably only ever have 1 or 2 messages in them. MailScanner never
sits around waiting for a batch to grow. If there is 1 message waiting in
the incoming queue, it will still be processed immediately.

>As I said before, it seems to me that SpamAssassin 2.55 is the limiting
>factor.  As soon as I enable it, everything grinds to a halt.
>
>I'll order more memory this week; taking the box up from its current 32
>Mb to its max of 256 Mb.

Fortunately RAM is dead cheap at the moment. It wasn't that long ago that I
remember paying £30 (US$46) per Mbyte.

>In the meantime I just wanted to establish that some people have
>SpamAssassin 2.55 working well with the latest MailScanner.

It does work just fine, but it is a resource hog.

--
Julian Field