[SAtalk] Conflicting scores in SA/MailScanner

Simon Byrnand simon at igrin.co.nz
Fri Jun 27 00:27:55 IST 2003

At 18:36 26/06/03 -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
>At 04:30 PM 6/26/2003 -0500, Richard Humphrey wrote:
>>I just set up MailScanner to run w SA/Sendmail and obviuously something
>>isnt configured correctly. Notice the 2 conflicting scores. I want
>>Mailscanner to do virus scanning and let SA take care of the spam. I
>>thought I had this set in the conf file but what did I miss?

>Configure MailScanner NOT to call spamassassin in your mailscanner.conf file.
>
>Either that or ONLY have MailScanner call spamassassin, and stop having SA
>called separately from procmail or whatever you did to call it a second time.
>
>If you opt to have SA called outside of MS, make sure it is called only
>once per email, (ie: only in one of the two sendmails that MS uses) and
>preferably only as a part of the inbound sendmail process, not the
>secondary delivery one.
>
>Really, IMO, It's going to be tough to have SA called outside MS without
>calling it twice. Especially if you're doing something like a sendmail milter.

Shouldn't it be possible to simply check for the presence of spamassassin
markup before calling it a second time ??

So for example if they wanted to call it as a sendmail milter and also
optionally from procmail during local delivery, it is trivial for the
procmail script to check for existing spamassassin markup before deciding
whether to call SA or not.

Not that I'm suggesting this is a good setup, but it certainly easy to
avoid calling it twice on the same message...

Regards,
Simon