MS Stress Test

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Mon Jun 23 14:38:57 IST 2003

Andrea Cogliati <AndreaC at GOTECH.IT> wrote:

>I have to carefully size the hardware for a MS installation and I'd like
>to set up a proper test environment. I'm looking for an SMTP stress test
>tool: any suggestion?

I can take a sample of real email going through our site and pass it to
a test machine using a special Exim router (below). This is particularly
useful for testing a small-scale development box (since I can send it a
small proportion of our traffic); since we have several machines in our
mail hub I can also test how a machine handles more than its expected
load.

# Deliver a duplicate of some proportion of all messages to a special
# machine specified in the file /MAIL_TAP_INFO, if it exists. The
# probability of sending a message is the reciprocal of the number in
# the second colon-separated field in the file. The address data is
# used to prevent redirected addresses from being tapped twice. The
# originating host is recorded in an extra header.

traffic_tap:
  unseen
  no_expn
  no_verify
  transport = smtp
  driver = manualroute
  require_files = /MAIL_TAP_INFO
  address_data = ${if!def:address_data{tapped}fail}
  route_data = ${extract{1}{:}{${readfile{/MAIL_TAP_INFO}{:}}}}
  condition = ${if!eq{a}{${expand:\${hash_1_${extract{2}{:}{${readfile{/MAIL_TAP_INFO}{:}}}}:\$message_headers\$message_body\}}}{no}{yes}}
  headers_add = ${if!def:sender_host_address{}{X-Orig-Remote-Host: $sender_host_address}}

Tony.
FAIR ISLE: CYCLONIC BECOMING NORTHWEST 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6, BACKING
SOUTHWEST 3 OR 4 IN SOUTHWEST LATER. RAIN. MODERATE OR POOR.