OT: "greylisting" - looking for opinions

Ryan Bingham ryanb at aacrao.org
Sun Jun 22 23:43:56 IST 2003

Kevin,

I tend to agree that it would be useful only for a short time until the
spammers learn how to circumvent it.

On your point that it would mean less spam for the Bayesian filters, I
find myself in a similar situation with an RBL I'm testing.  I've
started using sbl.spamhaus.org to block spam at the SMTP gateway (after
folks on SAtalk gave it the the thumbs up).  So far it's been working
great: I've seen at least a 1/3 drop in the amount of messages that MS
and SA have to process.  One side effect is that I'm now running a bit
short on spam and Bayes is getting alot more ham than spam (even after
adjusting the autolearn thresholds).

It's kind of ironic that we need to get more spam in order to stop the
spam from getting to us!  :-)

Ryan