OT: "greylisting" - looking for opinions

Ryan Bingham ryanb at AACRAO.ORG
Sat Jun 21 08:39:23 IST 2003

Sorry to crosspost for those of you who are on the SAtalk list, but I'd be interested to get your opinions on the concept of "greylisting" as a spamfighting tool (I apologize also if this has been brought up on the list before).  To summarize, it involves initially rejecting an SMTP session from an unknown source (this is oversimplifying  -- it's rather more that the entire SMTP session is "unfamiliar") in the expectation that a legitimate SMTP host will try again a short time later while a spamming host will not.

Here's a link to a fuller treatment:

http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

Ryan