MS Stress Test

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 16:53:39 IST 2003

I use an archive that I collected of several days worth of our real
incoming mail traffic.
I pump that from 1 server via SMTP into a test scanner server, which
processes it and then sends it onto a 3rd server which sinks all the SMTP
data it is sent.
By varying the number of copies of the script the first server runs, I can
vary the speed at which mail is sent to the test server.
The first server measures the time taken for the whole test set to be
transmitted and so produces a "messages per day" figure for each parallel
process it runs.

If the test server cannot handle the load, the queue starts growing as it
can't keep up.

It's not ideal by any means, but it's better than nothing and is based on
real traffic.

--
Julian Field