Acceptance of Domain Literals

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Thu Jun 12 17:08:11 IST 2003

Hi,

Does anyone know how to make sendmail accept domain literals?

DNSreport.com gives me this warning:
WARN: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail in the domain
literal format (user@[0.0.0.0]). Mailservers are technically required RFC1123
5.2.17 to accept mail to domain literals for any of its IP addresses. Not
accepting domain literals can make it more difficult to test your mailserver,
and can prevent you from receiving E-mail from people reporting problems with
your mailserver. However, it is unlikely that any problems will occur if the
domain literals are not accepted.

wso.muw.edu's postmaster@[209.147.208.15] response:
    >>> RCPT TO: <postmaster@[209.147.208.15]>
    <<< 550 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [69.2.200.182]

This machine is a Redhat 9 patched up-to-date.

Is this worth worrying about? I noticed that many mailservers have the same
warning. My FreeBSD system appears to be "Accepting Domain Literals". I
compared "sendmail.cf" from both machines and nothing too obvious about it.

Thank you for any advice
Marco