Autoupdate

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 21:58:54 IST 2003

At 21:43 11/06/2003, you wrote:
>I am using autoupdate script provided with mailscanner to keep f-prot up to
>date.  What has been strange lately is that it always says that everything
>is already up to date and there is nothing to be done.  It does seem to be
>updating on occassion though because the files have been kept up to date.
>Any idea why?
>
>I use this script to call autoupdate in cron.daily.
>
>#!/bin/bash
>perl /usr/local/f-prot/autoupdate
>exit 0

If you are using MailScanner version 4, then you should have a cron job in
/etc/cron.hourly which calls my global updater (update_virus_scanners)
which updates all the scanners that are installed. You should have deleted
your cron job to call f-prot/autoupdate when you upgraded from version 3 to 4.

>The other thing.  I noticed there is a quiet option in the autoupdate
>script.  Right now I have it set to 0 since I want to know its working.
>Getting an email in my admin account everyday gets old though.  It would be
>so much nicer if it was silent unless it actually found an update.  That way
>I would only get a message every few days when it did actually update and I
>could check for updates more frequently.  Is that possible?

See above.
--
Julian Field