f-prot's new mailbox licensing model

Francois Caen FCaen at CI.LAKEWOOD.WA.US
Wed Jun 11 15:20:44 IST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Spicer, Kevin [mailto:Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK]
> One example, theres a known vulnerability in Windows XP which can be
> exploited by a carefully constructed mp3 or wma file.  Presumably that

> could be exploited by a virus writer, but who would have expected an
> mp3 file to contain a virus - its not even executable!

Yep. Same thing for PDFs. I even remember an article about trying to
hide viruses in JPEGs. Can't remember if that was successful or not. But
this all proves that even though filetype filtering is a great tool, it
is not sufficient.

Francois Caen
Network Information Systems Engineer - Webmaster
City of Lakewood, WA
(253) 512-2269

NOTICE:  The Information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential. It is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended addressee or other legitimate recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any consideration, dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If the addressee has received this communication in error, please return it to the above address by mail and notify this office by telephone.

 City of Lakewood