F-Prot and Mail Scanner

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at CIV.UTWENTE.NL
Tue Jun 10 08:30:38 IST 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:43:10 -0700, you wrote:

>I installed F-Prot and MailScanner on an SMTP gateway for a customer. My
>customer tells me that F-Prot is only blocking 10% of the viruses. They
>had 9 messages get passed the F-Prot/MailScanner gateway and 1 message
>was stopped according to the maillog.

Are you sure those messages where send through mailscanner? Isn't
sendmail running besides MS?

>Norton Antivirus on the Exchange server told us about the 9 messages.
>
>Any ideas? F-Prot is getting the updates based on the Maillog file.

The only time I got Norton to find a virus after getting through MS and
F-prot was when the update script didn't work for a while on one of the
servers. I have seen cases where virusses (from other sources then
through MS) came through Norton on our exchange and weren't detected for
days (on exchange). They were detected by f-prot offcourse because the
exchange servers use our main servers as smarthost. (and smart they are
now).

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)