filtering file types vs. extensions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 18:02:04 IST 2003

Does anyone know of a Perl module that uses the magic file? I would very
much like to avoid having to write this, but I don't want to have to crank
up the file command for every message batch if I can avoid it.

Also, there would need to be some way of creating a list of "file" outputs
to expected extensions, or something like that. There needs to be a useful
way of processing the "file" output.

What would you like to be able to do?
1. Block specific file types (you would have to specify the "file" output
strings you are looking for.
2. Block file types that don't match their extensions (this could only be
done for a known subset of "file" outputs).
3. Add a "file" output specifier to each rule in filename.rules.conf, so
that the rule matches if either the filename matches or the file type matches.
4. Any more ideas?

Your votes please....

--
Julian Field