Weired Error

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Fri Jun 6 16:35:28 IST 2003

Hi Julian,

> This means that your Perl, for some unknown reason, is not picking up the
> inherited packages correctly.
> You should be able to simply comment out (or delete) the "debug" lines on
> lines 2603, 2614, 2624, 2647.

I will shortly.

> What version of perl are you running? I have never come across this before,
> not ever.

The version that is shipped with FreeBSD is 5.0003, I believe. However, when I
installed SpamAssassin, I used the following:

perl -MCPAN -e shell
prerequisites_policy ask
install Mail::SpamAssassin

During the SA install, I was asked to install some dependencies, one of them I
remember clearly was HTML::Parser. I answered 'y' to the question. Then for
some strange reason, it installed perl-5.8.0 first, then it installed the
dependecies and finally SpamAssassin. To eliminate confusion, I
renamed /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl-dist and then I created a link

/usr/bin/perl -> /usr/local/bin/perl

I have re-installed the FreeBSD system twice already and in the two instances,
everytime I try to install SA using the above method, perl-5.8.0 gets installed.

Do you think that's part of the problem?

Thank you for any insights

Marco