SpamAssassin timed out and was killed... box too slow?

Vasantha Narayanan vnarayan at haverford.edu
Thu Jun 5 04:38:41 IST 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:06:18 +0100 Julian Field wrote:

> At 17:28 04/06/2003, you wrote:
> >At 04:37 PM 6/4/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >>Try setting
> >>skip_rbl_checks 1
> >

> >I've already set skip_rbl_checks 1 in the spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> >file.  In the debug mode, it said  that Razor2 and Pyzor were not
> >availabe.  So I also made the following entries in
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> >so that I can eliminate any of the below to be the cause of the problem:
> >use_dcc 0
> >use_pyzor 0
> >use_razor1 0
> >use_razor2 0
> >use_bayes 0
> >
> >In debug mode, a couple of lines seem bothersome -
> >
> >unix passed to setlogsock, but path not available at
> >/opt/MailScanner/lib/MailSc
> >anner/Log.pm line 62
> >
> >and
> >
> >debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping:
> >defang_mime 0
> >
> >Could they be the cause of the timeout problem?
>
> Shouldn't be, no. Try reducing to 1 child process (Max Children = 1 in
> MailScanner.conf) then see how it behaves.

Tony Finch <dot at DOTAT.AT> also suggested reducing the child processes.
When I reduced it to 5 instead of 15, I found that the, " Jun  4 17:34:23
nisc4 MailScanner[19761]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed,
consecutive failure 1 of 20" appeared after an hour of starting the
MailScanner.  Then it appeared an hour later.

 When I reduced it to 1 child process, I did not get the error for over 3
hours.  But a lot of mail got accumulated in the incoming mail queue that
I had to stop MailScanner and restart it without SpamAssassin to process
the mail.

Vasantha