SpamAssassin timed out and was killed... box too slow?

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed Jun 4 16:38:01 IST 2003

Vasantha Narayanan <vnarayan at HAVERFORD.EDU> wrote:

>The MailScanner itself works perfectly.  It is only when I turn on
>SpamAssassin that the load on the machine gets really high.  A lot of mail
>gets accumulated in the incoming queue waiting to be scanned.  I'm running
>15 mailscanner processes and it forks and gets doubled whenever I turn on
>SpamAssassin.

That's far too many. I suggest 3 or 4 children per CPU if you are doing
a lot of spam scanning. You can get away with more if you have a large
proportion of email traffic that isn't being scanned (e.g. internal
email).

Tony.
MULL OF KINTYRE TO ARDNAMURCHAN POINT: SOUTH 4 OR 5 BACKING SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6
LATER VEERING SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5. DRY, FAIR, CLOUD AND RAIN FROM SOUTH
LATER. GOOD FALLING MODERATE IN RAIN. MODERATE INCREASING MODERATE OR ROUGH
FOR A TIME.